0 comments

Working with PowerShell DSC and Azure VM’s based on Windows 2012

Published on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 in ,

Mostly when I work with Azure VM’s I do the actual VM creation using Azure PowerShell cmdlets. I like how you can have some template scripts that create VM’s from beginning to end. Typically I create a static IP reservation, I join them to an AD domain, I add one or more additional disks,I add the Microsoft Antimalware extension…. When the VM is provisioned I log on and I’m pretty much ready to go. One of the things I noticed is that the Time Zone was set to UTC where I like it to be GMT+1. Obviously this only requires two clicks but I wanted this to be done for me. Now there are various approaches: either us traditional tooling like SCCM, GPO (is there a setting/registry key? ), …. or do it the Azure way. As far as Azure is concerned I could create a custom VM image or use PowerShell DSC (Desired State Configuration).

I prefer DSC over a custom image. The main reason is that I can apply these DSC customizations to whatever image from the gallery I feel like applying them. If the SharePoint team wants to take the latest SharePoint image from the gallery, I can just apply my DSC over it. If there’s a more recent Windows 2012 R2 image, I can just throw my DSC against it and I’m ready to go.

The following example shows how to apply a given DSC configuration to a VM.

001
002
003
004
005

$configurationArchive = "DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1.zip"
$configurationName = "SetTimeZone"
$VM = Get-AzureVM -ServiceName "contoso-svc" -Name "CONTOSO-SRV"
$VM = Set-AzureVMDSCExtension -VM $vm -ConfigurationArchive $configurationArchive -ConfigurationName 
$configurationName
$VM
 | update-AzureVM

Now I wont go into all of the details, but here are some things I personally ran into.

Creating and Uploading the DSC configuration archive

Initially I had some trouble wrapping my head around how to get my script to run on a target machine. I had this cool DSC script I found on the internet and tweaked it a bit:

001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022

#Requires -version 4.0
Configuration SetTimeZone
{
    Param
    (
        #Target nodes to apply the configuration
        [Parameter(Mandatory = $false)]
        [ValidateNotNullorEmpty()]
        [String]$SystemTimeZone="Romance Standard Time"
    )

    Import-DSCResource -ModuleName xTimeZone

    Node localhost
    {
        xTimeZone TimeZoneExample
        {
            TimeZone = $SystemTimeZone
        }
    }
}

This script depends on the xTimeZone DSC resource. As I already knew, those DSC resources, like xTimeZone, come in waves. Would my server have the latest version? Did I have to install that out of band? It seems not. All you need to do is create a configuration archive, a ZIP file, which contains both your script and the resource it depends on. The Azure cmdlets are an easy way to do this. They’ll also make sure all the dependent DSC resources are added to the package.

We got our script in c:\users\thomas\onedrive\documenten\work\blog\DSC. Some steps further I’ll get you the information where to store the DSC resources.

DSC_1

By using the following command we can create and upload the package to the “setspn” storage account:

001
002
003
004

$subscriptionID = "af2f6ce8-e4f3-abcd-abcd-34ab4ce9c7d3"
$storageAccountName = "setspn"
Set-AzureSubscription -SubscriptionId $subscriptionID -CurrentStorageAccount $storageAccountName
Publish-AzureVMDscConfiguration -ConfigurationPath C:\Users\Thomas\OneDrive\Documenten\Work\Blog\DSC\DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1

We need to execute this from an Azure PowerShell prompt. I executed this command from a Windows 8.1 machine that is running PowerShell v4.

DSC_2

It seems to be complaining that we are running this from an x86 prompt instead of an x64 prompt. But the Azure PowerhShell prompt is an x86 prompt… The error in words:

Publish-AzureVMDscConfiguration : Configuration script 'C:\Users\Thomas\SkyDrive\Documenten\Work\Blog\DSC\DSC_SetTimeZo
ne.ps1' contained parse errors:
At C:\Users\Thomas\SkyDrive\Documenten\Work\Blog\DSC\DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1:2 char:1
+ Configuration SetTimeZone
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Configuration is not supported in a Windows PowerShell x86-based console. Open a Windows PowerShell x64-based console,
and then try again.
At C:\Users\Thomas\SkyDrive\Documenten\Work\Blog\DSC\DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1:3 char:1
+ {
+ ~
Unexpected token '{' in expression or statement.
At C:\Users\Thomas\SkyDrive\Documenten\Work\Blog\DSC\DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1:21 char:1
+ }
+ ~
Unexpected token '}' in expression or statement.
At line:1 char:1

The error is quite misleading. I tried the various “DSC” cmdlets, like Get-DSCResource, and they all failed saying that the cmdlet could not be found. So it seems I needed the WMF framework to be installed. Shame on me. Here’s some explanation towards the prerequisites: TechNet Gallery: DSC Resource Kit (All Modules) Using the WMF 5.0 installer got me further.

DSC_2b

Now off to creating the package again: again an error…

DSC_3

Now it seems to complain it can’t find the DSC resources… But I installed them?! The error in words:

VERBOSE: Parsing configuration script: C:\Users\Thomas\SkyDrive\Documenten\Work\Blog\DSC\DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1
VERBOSE: Loading module from path 'C:\Program Files
(x86)\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\xTimeZoneSource\DSCResources\xTimeZone\xTimeZone.psm1'.
Publish-AzureVMDscConfiguration : Configuration script 'C:\Users\Thomas\SkyDrive\Documenten\Work\Blog\DSC\DSC_SetTimeZo
ne.ps1' contained parse errors:
At C:\Users\Thomas\SkyDrive\Documenten\Work\Blog\DSC\DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1:16 char:9
+         xTimeZone TimeZoneExample
+         ~~~~~~~~~
Undefined DSC resource 'xTimeZone'. Use Import-DSCResource to import the resource.
At line:1 char:1

After some googling I found out that the PowerShell prompt imports to module it finds in it’s PATH variable. As we are running from an x86 prompt, the folder that was loaded was different. Typically all DSC guides tell you to install DSC resources below C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules but in fact for the Azure PowerShell prompt you need to put them in C:\Program Files (x86)\WindowsPowerShell\Modules or you have to modify your PATH variable to include the x64 location…. I choose to copy the module to the x86 location:

DSC_3c

And all seems fine now:

DSC_4

Applying the DSC to a Windows 2012 VM

The DSC script I created worked fine on a newly install Windows 2012 R2 VM, but on a Windows 2012 the extension seemed to have troubles. Now that wasn’t supposed to happen… The good thing about the Azure DSC extension is that the logging is quite decent. Inside the VM you can find some log files in the following location: C:\WindowsAzure\Logs\Plugins\Microsoft.Powershell.DSC\1.10.1.0

The following extract comes from the DscExtensionHandler log file:

VERBOSE: [2015-05-28T21:43:17] Applying DSC configuration:
VERBOSE: [2015-05-28T21:43:17]     Sequence Number:              0
VERBOSE: [2015-05-28T21:43:17]     Configuration Package URL:   
https://setspn.blob.core.windows.net/windows-powershell-dsc/DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1.zip
VERBOSE: [2015-05-28T21:43:17]     ModuleSource:                
VERBOSE: [2015-05-28T21:43:17]     Configuration Module Version:
VERBOSE: [2015-05-28T21:43:17]     Configuration Container:      DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1
...
VERBOSE: [2015-05-28T21:44:27] [ERROR] Importing module xTimeZone failed with error - File C:\Program
Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\xTimeZone\DscResources\xTimeZone\xTimeZone.psm1 cannot be loaded because running scripts is
disabled on this system. For more information, see about_Execution_Policies at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170.

Now that’s a pretty well known message… Bummer. Seems the execution policy on the Windows 2012 machine is set to restricted. Now there’s a way around that. Scripts could be executed with the option “-executionpolicy bypass”. But we can’t control that as the DSC extension is responsible for this. Kind of a bummer. The Windows 2012 R2 image seems to have RemoteSigned as default execution policy…

Now this got me curious. Would the run PowerShell script extension also suffer from this? If it would not, I could have a small PowerShell script execute first that alters the execution policy!

001
002

Set-ExecutionPolicy remotesigned

I create a PowerShell script with this line in it. Saved it to disk and then used AzCopy to copy it a container in a storage account. Executing the script:

DSC_ExecScript

After executing I can confirm that the execution policy has changed:

ExecPol

The logging for this extension can be found here: C:\WindowsAzure\Logs\Plugins\Microsoft.Compute.CustomScriptExtension\1.4 From the log file we can see that the PowerShell script extension run scripts in a more robust way:

2015-05-28T21:36:58.7646763Z    [Info]:    HandlerSettings = ProtectedSettingsCertThumbprint: , ProtectedSettings: {}, PublicSettings: {FileUris: [https://storaccount.blob.core.windows.net/windows-powershell-dsc/test.ps1?sv=2014-02-14&sr=b&sig=eijcTn9I2kWuOPU1CK%2F9zQ3tAO1NIUrs8wT2gUE8z0o%3D&se=2015-05-29T21%3A07%3A00Z&sp=r], CommandToExecute: powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -file test.ps1 }

As you can see this script is called while specifying the execution policy. Now we’ll be able to apply our DSC extension

DSC_ExecDSC

And the log file contents:

VERBOSE: [2015-05-29T00:00:00] Import script as new module:
C:\Packages\Plugins\Microsoft.Powershell.DSC\1.10.1.0\bin\..\DSCWork\DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1.1\DSC_SetTimeZone.ps1
...
VERBOSE: [2015-05-29T00:00:12] Executing Start-DscConfiguration...
...
VERBOSE: [2015-05-29T00:00:20] [SRV2012]: LCM:  [ Start  Set      ]
VERBOSE: [2015-05-29T00:00:22] [SRV2012]: LCM:  [ Start  Resource ]  [[xTimeZone]TimeZoneExample]
VERBOSE: [2015-05-29T00:00:22] [SRV2012]: LCM:  [ Start  Test     ]  [[xTimeZone]TimeZoneExample]
VERBOSE: [2015-05-29T00:00:22] [SRV2012]: LCM:  [ End    Test     ]  [[xTimeZone]TimeZoneExample]  in 0.1100 seconds.
...

Conclusion

Configuring the time zone using DSC might be a bit overkill. But it’s an excellent exercise to get the hang of this DSC stuff. For a good resource on DSC check this tweet from me. I myself plan to create more DSC scripts in the near future. I tear VM’s up and down all the time. I would love to have a DSC that creates me a Windows AD domain, a Microsoft Identity Manager installation, a ….

Related Posts

No Response to "Working with PowerShell DSC and Azure VM’s based on Windows 2012"

Add Your Comment