2 comments

SCCM 2007: DCM Development Tip

Published on Monday, September 10, 2012 in

The actual reason why I’m toying around with DCM (Desired Configuration Management) will be explained in my next post. But here’s a tip I’ve found to be quit practical when trying to get your CI (Configuration Item) configuration right.

I quickly found out that whenever you changed settings in the CI you’ve had to initiate the Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle action so that the Conf Manager client would have the latest version of your Baseline/CI.

image

In the Configuration Manager client you’ve got a button called Evaluate on the last tab which you can use to actually allow the CI to be evaluated and give you a report displaying the current compliance state.

image

In the screenshot you see “Unknown:Scopel….” but that’s just a GUI refresh thingy. After a few minutes it’s properly displayed. Now this part is easy. Now on the other hand I was switching a regkey by hand on the client in order to trigger the various possible outcomes of my baseline. And after I while I figured out that there had to occur some caching behind the scene’s…

Using google I found an explanation at the following forum: myitforum.com:[mssms] Configuring DCM to detect (Default) Value name [mdfdr5]

And then I started using the following workaround in order to avoid the 15’ interval:

image

By appending a number to the CI name I was triggering a version increase. This in turn causes the cached result to be come invalid and ensures my evaluation always gives the most up to date answer. It’s a bit dirty and causes for a high version number, but on the other hand, this is in a test environment, and it’s damn easy like this.

Related Posts

2 Response to SCCM 2007: DCM Development Tip

MThd
11 July, 2013 23:59

You can trigger a DCM scan from Roger Zander's SCCM Client Center. Works much better than the control panel.

13 July, 2013 00:23

thanks for the feedback. I'll check the client center out for sure!

Add Your Comment