0 comments

Windows 8 (Dev Preview): Install A Domain Controller

Published on Saturday, October 22, 2011 in ,

As I’m curious what might have changed in the Windows 8 Developer Preview I decided to promote a server to a Domain Controller. As I’ve done plenty times before I just did “start – run – dcpromo”:

image

However this time a message pops up that we can no longer do this and have to use the Server Manager experience. Fine by me.

image

So off we go: the Server Manager has been revamped and extended. Just click add roles.

image

image

There seems to be a scenario-based installation,but that’s just for Remote Desktop Services.

image

Some fancy server selection options.

image

Just Check AD DS

image

Required features to be added

image

Now this is convenient: you get the choice to add some additional features on your way out

image

Next

image

Install

image

Tumdidum

image

Ready

image

Back in the server manager we will see a message saying we now need to execute the domain controller configuration part.

image

Click it, you’ll see an overview of pending tasks.

image

Scroll to the right and click “Promote this server to a domain controller”
Choose a name for your root domain

image

I just picked the new Windows Server 8 DFL/FFL

image

Defaults for my lab or just fine

image

Now we are presented with an overview of the settings. Read carefully, it says: “The NetBIOS name of the domain: automatically calculated”. Often this might be just fine, but whereas in the past you could specify it in the GUI when following the advanced route, now we will have to go command line.

image

And very nice: the view script button shows us the outcome of our clickings in the equivalent PowerShell script:

image

When clicking next some prerequisites are checked. The outcome was red, I didn’t saw that one coming. It seems to be complaining about the DFL I picked…

image

Back to the DFL selection I lowered it to Windows 2008 R2 and went forward again.

image

All is fine now.

image

However I backed out the GUI as I wanted to try to PowerShell script:

#
# Windows PowerShell Script for AD DS Deployment
#

Import-Module ADDSDeployment
Install-ADDSForest `
-DatabasePath "C:\Windows\NTDS" `
-DomainMode "Win2008R2" `
-DomainName "addict.local" `
-DomainNetBiosName "ADDICT" `
-ForestMode "Win2008R2" `
-InstallDNS:$true `
-LogPath "C:\Windows\NTDS" `
-RebootOnCompletion:$false `
-SafeModeAdministratorPassword (Read-Host -AsSecureString -Prompt "Enter Password") `
-SYSVOLPath "C:\Windows\SYSVOL"

I could have set "RebootOnCompletion”, but I wanted to see the result of the command.

image

After rebooting I decided to check the DFL/FFL raising again:

image

image

So I guess we will have to wait for that. In the near future I might be adding additional postings regarding Windows 8 Server. However this is all pretty early and stuff might be left out in the final version of course.

Related Posts

No Response to "Windows 8 (Dev Preview): Install A Domain Controller"

Add Your Comment